Thursday, February 16, 2006

Boulevard of Broken Eardrums

At work I am quite limited as to what radio stations I can pick up at my desk. Usually WJFK comes in fine which is great, because talk radio seems to make my day go by a little faster. Plus they have the Junkies in the morning, who I am really starting to enjoy (and strangely enough making me not miss Howard Stern). Overall, their lineup is good with my day starting off with the Junkies, and Don and Mike when I go home. There is one glaring hole though: Noon to 2 PM is Bill O'Reilly, the worst commentator in America. I CANNOT stand to listen to his self-important, George W. Bush fellatio-giving, boneheaded analysis of politics. So, I have to change the station. I receive two other stations loud and clear: W-PGC (Radio PG County) and DC 101. Clearly, that choice is easy. But what is starting to piss me off is that everytime I turn on DC 101, one of three Green Day songs is playing... like always. I mean, that album came out a year and a half ago. They played American Idiot for 6 months non-stop. And now they play Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Holiday like there's no tomorrow. I assume that's because their corporate minded program director has decided that the general DC populace is clamoring to hear those songs just one more time. I mean really... is there anyone that is dying to hear Holiday for the 17,000th time? If there is, please leave me a comment and I'll be sure to send you out a windbreaker for proving me wrong. And, if its not songs from American Idiot, they're playing 6 year old Red Hot Chili Peppers songs. Why?! Is there no other rock/alternative music that can be played?! Maybe shake it up a bit. I'm not a big reggae fan, but I wouldn't complain about hearing a Matisyahu song instead of the same tired Bob Marley song. Or maybe some Coheed and Cambria or Social Distortion or Alkaline Trio instead of the 1 millionth playing of that Nine Inch Nails song. Anything else but what is played. Even a little more My Chemical Romance or Louis XIV... And I can't bring my XM radio to work because of security restrictions which makes it worse.

Someone needs to start up a new rock station here that doesn't play this garbage. Like an independently owned station. It doesn't have to play indie rock (because the pretentiousness of some of the DJ's would surely grate on me) non-stop, just stuff people want to hear without drowning us to death with the same songs. Just as a backlash to the Clear Channel-ization of radio, I could see a strong listener base developing. I swear, if I hear Boulevard of Broken Dreams, I'm liable to pull a Kurt Cobain.

5 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Blogger RoarSavage said...

"...pull a Kurt Cobain." heh.

There's a Bob station back in Oklahoma. I think there's a Dave in NYC. I believe they're run by the same parent company. And they play good music. Just like what you're talking about.

I vote you give WPGC a chance, though.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger The Virginian said...

I can deal with some of the music on WPGC, but it's the same kind of thing. They replay what seems like a pretty small playlist (from what I can tell from the radio at the cube next to me). Except instead of playing Green Day non-stop they play Sean Paul and Beyonce featuring Slim Thug ad nauseum. I don't think I could deal with it any better.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

What? No magic love for Penn Jillette? :-p

And I <3 the Junkies, if only they weren't married and I had a bigger rack. And in general, your post made me miss HFS...

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger The Virginian said...

It took me a couple weeks to start appreciating Penn, but I am loving the show now. As far as the Junkies, I would have not imagined myself saying this a couple months ago, but they blow away Howard Stern's old show. Clearly women want them, and men want to be them.

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger A Unique Alias said...

There was such a station, called WHFS. It did all that back in the mid-nineties. Then it changed formats somewhere around '99 or so to a rock top 40 type of station.

Then it went out of business.

I don't listen to radio in this area anymore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home