Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Paid to Read the Express?

Everyday when I walk into the Pentagon City Metro Station, I am greeted by either one or two metro cops standing by the turnstile. I understand this is so they can find terrorists trying to sneak a bomb onto the train or something, or maybe to catch people trying to hop the turnstile to save 1.25 on metro fares. The real goal is to instill confidence that the Government is lookign out for us. Which is fine. It might not work on me, but I'm sure some people get a warm fuzzy seeing cops in the Metro. But what doesn't instill confidence is seeing them reading the newspaper EVERY SINGLE DAY that I walk by them, when they should be standing at attention and looking surly to scare the terrorists off (snicker). I'm the first one to defend the Metro system, because I'm willing to look past broken escalators and crowded trains. But this is pretty big money we're talking about. Probably like 50-75K per cop when you count all the benefits they get along with salary. I'd really much rather they stick these Metro cops out on the beat. Maybe stop some crime along the way.

On a related note, I don't want to construe this as my being against the reading of the Express while on the job. I know I need my newspaper hour where I run through the Express and the Examiner after I get to my desk, do the Sudoku and crossword for a while, then get to work. But when you carry a gun, and your job is to protect, I'd rather you were doing your job than checking out the Bloglines.

4 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

But my comment on NASCAR was oh-so-riveting, they've gotta be in the know and find my blog. (Kidding obv)

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger The Boy said...

Please realize that Pentagon City is in Virginia, not in DC, as the picture you have posted here might lead some to believe.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger RoarSavage said...

I know what you mean. Slightly related: I was sitting in the L'Enfent metro Sunday, waiting for my train, when three of them, in a group kind of hulked down one end of the platform to the other. I don't understand why they'd need to be in 3's. What were they doing?? I'm NOT a tourist, and I still found it un-nerving.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger The Virginian said...

Sorry about the mixup The Boy. Pentagon City is at least a quarter mile from the Potomac River, so that is my bad. By the way, its not DC cops or Arlington cops in the metro, its WMATA transit police that patrol the entire system. So yeah, that would include, gasp, Virginia and even Maryland. You can fault me for not being able to find a transit cop picture on Google Images though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home