Monday, March 27, 2006

Border Crossing Brouhaha

Beware: POLITICAL DISCUSSION AHEAD! I usually try to avoid discussing politics, but immigration always gets me going.

As I've stated before on this blog, the two worst hours of my work day are between noon and 2 PM when Bill O'Reilly comes on WJFK. I had completely not been following this whole immigration debate in the Senate until I heard O'Reilly rambling about it today for an hour. Using his typical fear tactics, he starts talking about how any American could be living next door to a (gasp!) house FULL of illegal immigrants. If I'm not mistaken, he described this house as containing over 10 illegals, and they "defecate in the yard." Seriously, that is a direct quote. Illegal immigration used to be the hot button topic I cared about the most. Coming from California, I witnessed hundreds of Latino junior high students marching the streets over Prop 187 that would have denied them schooling and medical care, and I was 100% behind this idea. After all why should they deserve services if they don't pay taxes (keeping in mind I was in my early teens). Now the whole topic seems to have come to a head. The hardline Republicans are pushing to make it a felony to be an illegal immigrant and to increase the punishment for hiring illegals.

I'm all for sealing up the borders and keeping more illegal immigrants out. I'm all for promoting the legal process for immigration. But I'm also a realist. What are you going to do with the 10 million or so illegals that are already here? According to O'Reilly, we can just bus them out of here and they won't try to come back illegally once we have our inpenetrable, energy force field, surface-to-surface missile equipped, automated gun tower wall built. He says they'll mess up somehow along the way, and then can be immediately deported. I guess we can start arranging the 500,000 or so buses to go pick them all up and take them on a pleasure ride back down to Mexico and El Salvador. I can't stress enough how retarded I think Bill O'Reilly is on this. I mean, his plan would only cripple the US agricultural economy, the food service industry, manufacturing, meat processing, and about 100 more crucial industries. But that's OK, we have a 4% unemployment rate. That's like a few million willing workers that would be glad to head out to the strawberry fields and pick fruit for a few dollars a day.

I also see that the compromise permanent residency program forces them to learn English. Which I think realistically is a good idea, except the country hasn't really ever made English the official language so I'm not sure why we can force them to learn a non-official tongue. I really think this is part of a lot bigger plan. Bill O'Reilly commented on this today as well, saying that Americans don't realize that our culture will look very differently in 20 or 30 years. Its a last ditch effort to Americanize the barbarian hordes. I think people are starting to see the writing on the wall that is country could be joining the Hispanic world before long. Just look at the statistics for Hispanics as a percentage of the population. It's coming, and those figures don't include the ones illegally here. Add those in, and you've got a pretty big and powerful voting base. And I'm not sure how I feel about that. I like the culture as it is. But Pandora's Box has already been opened. They are already here, and they already are key to the economic machine.

I just hope that Bill O'Reilly's drivel is not taken seriously by most of his listeners (I understand that there will always be a bunch of retards in the Southern states that take his words as gospel), and I hope that his opinions aren't the prevailing opinion of the U.S. At the least, for the economic sake of my home state of California (although this subject really affects heavily like 20 U.S. states). And I didn't even get into the widespread unrest that would be caused by completely alienating about 20% of the U.S. population. Just look at the protests today for a preview. Hopefully tomorrow I can avoid politics (which I seriously always try to avoid, especially since I moved here) and get back to good places to go that serve Natural Light on tap.

* As a disclaimer, I am not a Democrat. I voted for Arnold Schwarzenegger, and I also voted for Pat Buchanan two elections ago. Last election I did not vote for Kerry (I also did not vote for Bush). I really think these are just realistic observations about to handle this whole situation.

2 Comments:

At 12:20 AM, Blogger RoarSavage said...

I read this. All of it. Much earlier this morning. But I wasn't sure how to comment.
I have never been for "tightening the borders" because it seems anti-patriotic and hypocritical. And I'm a fan of the bill that just came out of the Senate JC. Bill O'Reilly is already a dumb ass, no suprise there. I'm just sad that we added another page for google to link when someone types his name. One of my pet peeves as concerns this country is some of the stupidest people are speaking really really loudly. Ha-Rumph.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger The Virginian said...

I'd rather google linked to a page bashing Bill O'Reilly then to his No-Spin Zone online store selling windbreakers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home