Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Great American Novels

I've been swamped at work the past couple days, and pretty much until next week when I leave on vacation to paradise, so I don't have many clever and witty anecdotes to share. But I have been starting to read again, and have had my love for two authors' work rekindled. The first, I was reminded of, when I was woken up on Sunday morning at 7 AM to my inebriated roommate blasting American Psycho from the living room. This was a love or hate it movie. I convinced 15 dudes in college to drive 45 minutes to the closest movie theater to watch this movie. About half loved it, about half despised it. Seriously, how can you hate a book/movie that combines in-depth analysis of Huey Lewis and the News' Hip To Be Square with a brutal ax murder scene. For those that love it, Bret Easton Ellis' books blow the movie away (movies, if you include the lame Rules of Attraction film). I finally read Glamorama, which was great, meaning I've read the complete works of Ellis now. If you want dark satire, these books are for you.

I am also about to reread Wonder Boys, by Michael Chabon. This book just took me in when I first read it. I remember not wanting to read it due to it's hot pink cover, but my girlfriend at the time convinced. And I'm glad she did. It's a novel about a novel author, but for whatever reason, I felt like I could relate to some of the themes in this book. I'd also recommend The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay for some quirkiness, but with the holocaust as a backdrop theme.

Now, I'm by no means a book critic (as is painfully apparent), but I know what I like. And I like these authors' work. I'm about to load up on a few books to bring on my trip, so if anyone has some suggestions, let me know ASAP!

7 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger RoarSavage said...

Don't take Cold Mountain. All I'm sayin.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger The Virginian said...

I was forced to watch that movie. Rest assured, that won't be accompanying me.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger RoarSavage said...

I'm plugging through it. It was on my shelf and I just had to, ya know? But I'm on page 346 and he still hasn't made it home to her, keeps sleeping in the woods, and I'm, like..... GRRRRRR!

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger RoarSavage said...

The Alchemist changed my life. I would recommend that one. Any time, always.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger The Virginian said...

Strangely enough, I've already read The Alchemist. Great book.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger RoarSavage said...

Like, NO ONE has read that. How odd. And random.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger The Virginian said...

It was actually in the curriculum for a modern literature english class in school.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home