Saturday, March 11, 2006

Hot, Hot, Hot - Reporting Live From Costa Rica

Dateline Golfito, Costa Rica: I think Buster Poindexter put it best when he sang in his classic 80´s tune, Hot, Hot, Hot (as sang by Sebastian the Crab as well). It is real hot down here and the humidity is oppressing. Needless to say, I am sweating quite a bit. I don´t have long on the Internet here, but I have several quick observations.

1. I think that Latin America gets a bad reputation for being so poor and full of shanty towns because of one simple fact (besides the fact that they ARE a lot poorer than Americans). The use of corrugated steel for their roofs. Ever picture you see of a slummy barrio in any Latin country, they show these homes with rusty corrugated steel roofs that really make the buildings look bad. And this material isn´t just used on cheap housing, it´s found on the wealthier housing as well. How about a little terra cotta tile? It would make a world of difference, and judging from the flooring, it is found in abundance here. Get me on the line with the folks in charge of Image Management for these countries.

2. Americans are such retards when they head off to other countries. Especially those within the ages of 18 and 25 (which I of course am a part of, but would like to exclude myself from in these criticisms). They show up, expect everyone to speak English, and don´t even bother to exchange their dollars for the local currency. That may work when you´re in the capital and its full of Burger Kings and KFC´s, but not when you´re at the very southern end of the country, almost into Panama. I´m pretty sure the bartenders and shopkeepers take advantage of this and just quote prices that are double what they usually charge, but about a dollar less than they´d pay in the States. That way the sophomore in high school on spring break is paying two bucks for a beer that I paid the equivalent of 80 cents for in Costa Rican money. I guess both parties are happy, but whatever.

3. Walking through the supermarkets, I noticed that they don´t use jars here for sauces and such. Instead they use a glorified Capri Sun pouch that has a nozzle on it. This just seems like good sense to me, and its something I´d love to see migrate over to the states. Just think, they are resealable, they take up less space, less space in the garbage can, I just don´t see a negative to it. I wish I could post pictures, but alas, I am using an "archaic" 35mm camera (as opposed to a snazzy digital camera).

I believe I´ll be unable to check Internet for the next few days, but you can expect a new posting featuring cutting edge reporting soon enough.

4 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Blogger RoarSavage said...

Good sauce idea, but what would America be without its garbage???

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

I have to ask: is Costa Rican beer any good?

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Larry said...

I was actually intrigued by this one research project I had to do today. It was about charisma how to talk to women attract women charis and, truly, I really did not think I would find a shred of information about it. Good thing for patience. Why? Because the site I found nearly popped out of nowhere and hit me in the eye. Hey, I think I may have even found this great site about when I clicked on a popup, too. Sometimes those popups can be quite useful, though many people dislike them. Do not go searching for without trying your patience at least a little bit.
charisma how to talk to women attract women charis

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger The Virginian said...

66: I loved the beer. When I was down there I kept thinking of what I could do for a living to stay down there and came up with being the importer of Imperial Cerveza. With my short attention span, I'll probably forget this idea in a week or so.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home