Thursday, March 30, 2006

Metro = Better than the Bus @ Always

I keep reading opposition to the Metro extension to Dulles suggesting that we create a dependable bus line to test interest before the system pours money into a rail system. This is crazy. I really believe that people that would never ride a bus would take the train. It's a completely different experience. And I ride both for my commute. And the suggestion that we just have more buses is absurd. Isn't the point of the train to have a mode of transportation that won't be slowed by traffic, in addition to taking cars off the roads to clear up congestion? How is having a "dependable bus system" going to improve anything? The bus is still going to be taking those congested roads into DC. Oh wait, it could take carpool lanes... Anyone that's seen I-66 in the morning in the so-called car pool section inside the Beltway sees that the traffic really isn't moving too well. And these complaints seem to ignore the fact that building the Metro is like printing money for the land owners, developers and later on the businesses that move in near the stations. Last I checked, putting a new bus stop in somewhere hasn't really spurred new development and improvements. And the fact that the train may not be able to go underground through Tysons Corner? Tysons Corner already looks like ass, its not like this will drastically ruin pristine views. Unless you'll miss the attractive views of the 1980's era Pizza Hut across the street. Yes it will cost a lot, but I have to believe that the increased tax revenue from the new development and increased property values will help to alleviate that. And raise the toll road price. That should push more people to ride the train in to the city, instead of clogging up 66 at the Toll Road/I-66 merge. I guess I'll never understand the hatred that Metro seems to cause for people.

4 Comments:

At 7:37 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

I'm for the metro extension, but I dislike metro strongly.

I am, at best, a casual metro rider. My issue with metro arises as a result of the SmarTrip card and the inability to pay cash to exit the parking lots. The card is best used by people who ride the metro on a regular basis, not for the sporadic user.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger The Virginian said...

When I lived in Fairfax, I also hated the SmarTrip card. Now that I ride the Metro everyday, I love it. I can't really see Metro saving THAT much money by firing a 6 dollar an hour parking attendant at their commuter stations.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Marci (aka Baby Banana) said...

It wasn't axing the parking attendant's pittance that saved Metro money, it was getting back the millions they were missing out on -- what with the said attendant's delivering the parking fees to their back pockets instead of the till.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger The Virginian said...

I honestly don't think the Smartrip cards are that big a deal. It was at first during the transition to them when I got caught in the Vienna parking lot without one and with no idea that I needed one. But once you get one, it makes life so much easier.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home