Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Hot New Business Plan: Beer Baron

As some long time readers may know, I went to Costa Rica back in March for a vacation and was quite taken by the country. One of the bright spots of this trip was a chance to sip a frosty beer while watching the sunset on an isolated beach. And it's not just the scenery that was great, it was the delicious Costa Rican beer, Imperial Cerveza. When I got back, I searched everywhere for some Imperial, only to find it is only being distributed in Southern California and NY/NJ. I got to thinking, if no one else is distributing it here in the DC/MD/VA area, why couldn't I?! So working with my friend in Los Angeles, we've been toying with the idea of trying to take on the distribution of Imperial here. It all started with an e-mail to the importer (located in a hole in the wall business park in my hometown) who got me in contact with the brewer in San Jose, Costa Rica. Apparently they are examining new markets on the East Coast and I am the front runner (by default) for this territory for distribution rights. Of course I have no idea how the beer distribution business works. Here is where I used all my guile and deviousness. I e-mailed the Beer Distribution lobbyist group posing as a Georgetown student, and told them I am doing a project for an entrepreneurship class involving the distribution of "a fictional Central American beer in a new sales territory in DC/MD/VA." I had heard that this was a secretive and close-knit industry, but they seemed very willing to share all the secrets to me. I guess they really do care about education. So now I play the waiting game until the brewer wants to enter this territory. I honestly think Imperial would sell well here. Especially with all the Central Americans that live here that have nothing to remind them beer-wise of home (even though pretty much none of them are Costa Rican). Plus it has a cool label and logo, and is advertised to be made from the "fresh spring waters of Costa Rican volcanic springs". With the right marketing campaign, I think it could be a hit (and already is in California).

I guess we'll see if this idea sticks or if my short attention span forgets about this great plan in a week or so. It would be sweet to be a beer baron though...

3 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Blogger Delrayder said...

How come the logo on the bottle looks like something out of pre World War I Germany? Are you sure it was a Costa Rican who created this stuff?

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger The Virginian said...

I totally dig the logo. I saw the colors and the logo being a big selling point. Then again, I suppose Otto Von Bismarck may have made a quick junket to Central America to bring German brewing prowess to the Latins.

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger Pessimistic Nomad said...

I love the idea, I'm not much of a beer drinker (dedicated Vodka and Rum drinker) but am very interested to see what it tastes like and if it could sell here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home